AWD Vega level of difficulty?

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

AWD Vega level of difficulty?

Postby DarthVega » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 am

Starting to plan my 2nd build, still not 100% sure I will move forward with it but I like to plan ahead, my 2nd Vega is a manual transmission, but playing with the AWD build in my head, I think I read a comment about someone planning or building one, anybody know who that was? Or any opinions on that build? I got a feeling it’s gonna be a lengthy build to take on
[youtube][/youtube]Darth Vega
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Re: AWD Vega level of difficulty?

Postby 75Monz » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:41 pm

I had pondered the AWD question for one of my Monza's, no clue what others had thought yet though. I wanted to do a v-8, so was looking at picking up a 94 Oldsmobile Bravada since they were AWD with a 700R4 and shortening wheel base to match the Monza, then lowering slightly, doing the blazer S10 v-8 conversion. Basic drivetrain setup would be like a Typhoon then, didn't really have a clue yet on how to drop the body onto something like that with width though unless a possible wide body look.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Postby DarthVega » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:42 pm

75Monz wrote:I had pondered the AWD question for one of my Monza's, no clue what others had thought yet though. I wanted to do a v-8, so was looking at picking up a 94 Oldsmobile Bravada since they were AWD with a 700R4 and shortening wheel base to match the Monza, then lowering slightly, doing the blazer S10 v-8 conversion. Basic drivetrain setup would be like a Typhoon then, didn't really have a clue yet on how to drop the body onto something like that with width though unless a possible wide body look.

I ran into that same thought on dropping the body, but I was thinking about swapping everything underneath the car to AWD
A guy I subscribed to on YouTube used that method on a Cutlass and it’s a monster, I’m thinking the AWD front of a Trailblazer SS or Safari or Astro with the normal S10 or S10 Extream rear would get it done, but the difficulty will probably well exceed my capabilities sadly
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 75Monz » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Yeah, definitely a thought process. I had chose the Bravada as a platform since it's transfercase is not like a blazer, it's AWD just like the Typhoon and Cyclone were. I ended up using the whole setup as a start to making my 92 S-10 Blazer 2 door rwd a conversion to my own v-8 Typhoon, lol.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Postby DarthVega » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:51 pm

75Monz wrote:Yeah, definitely a thought process. I had chose the Bravada as a platform since it's transfercase is not like a blazer, it's AWD just like the Typhoon and Cyclone were. I ended up using the whole setup as a start to making my 92 S-10 Blazer 2 door rwd a conversion to my own v-8 Typhoon, lol.

Sounds like a feasible plan, I haven’t looked into any axle lengths or transfercase compatibility yet, that’s why I wanted to run my plan by someone, see if they knew or tried anything like what you’re saying, nobody wants to go head first into such a build without a 2nd opinion, well at least not me lol
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 75Monz » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Check out this thread https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/v8hbody ... t1293.html . If you used a 4.3l, 700r4 and awd unit from a Bravada and fit the frame section in with connectors to existing rear after sectioning stuff, I think you would have what you're after.
75Monz

Postby DarthVega » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:19 pm

MAN! That’s the engine and tranny I was wanting to use too, that way even if I abandoned toe AWD I would still have the option to still attempt it again! Great find man gonna Check it out now
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby DarthVega » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:47 pm

75Monz wrote:Check out this thread https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/v8hbody ... t1293.html . If you used a 4.3l, 700r4 and awd unit from a Bravada and fit the frame section in with connectors to existing rear after sectioning stuff, I think you would have what you're after.

Did you catch a glimpse of the pictures? I posted on the Forum about the C1 to C4 rolling chassis, played with that Idea some too, maybe I could pull off both, AWD Vega with Corvette suspension and handling, Man that would be sweet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DarthVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Project Journals