Raoul's 75 Monza

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Raoul's 75 Monza

Postby GermanMonza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:04 am

Hi folks,

I figured I'd start a journal to keep you informed and myself motivated. Also it's perhaps easier with questions along the way.
In September 2020 I bought two Monzas in Austria, a bone stock '75 262 Auto and a parts car, a '77 305 Auto that's been worked on quite a bit and has not been treated too well. Brought them home (Germany) and started gutting the parts car.
I'm reading up tons of threads here, and there's slowly an idea coming together where I want to go with this build.
Progress will be made as time and money allow it. If you want to ask anything in between, please do!

Thanks for reading!
-Raoul

Here some pictures of the cars when I bought them and had them hauled to my shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GermanMonza

Re: Raoul's 75 Monza

Postby GermanMonza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:04 am

The current state of the parts car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GermanMonza

Postby GermanMonza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:08 am

This weird goop has build up in the water neck, no clue what it is...let's hope it didn't get down to the block.
I plan to use the 305 block for the project.
Can anybody tell me what the second number is that was stamped over the engine code?
GermanMonza

Postby GermanMonza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:13 am

Transmission seems to be a TH350c, the lockup solenoid was rewired at some point in the life of the car. Not sure how or why. It doesn't have the band adjuster stud so I figured it's gotta be a 350.
GermanMonza

Postby GermanMonza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:18 am

Engine is on the stand and I wanna tear it down some day next week to see if it's worth saving. I've worked on a couple SBCs before but never had one that leaked oil from the balancer :lol:
GermanMonza

Postby zeke » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:32 am

Wow, there must be no front seal left lol

Definitely the way to go on these projects - have a parts car :th:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby GermanMonza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:35 pm

True! Btw thank you for your great journal, it already answered a ton of questions. I’m on page 60 now :D
GermanMonza

Postby GermanMonza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:21 am

Tore down the parts car some more. It came with Koni shocks, they're actually still good but unfortunately very rusty on the outside. I googled the part no. but couldn't find anything, did Koni use to make shocks for H-Bodies?
I also looked up HT springs, but couldn't find much. Does anybody actually make lowering springs for Monzas?

Also the engine doesn't look so bad. Can anyone tell me what the holes in the pistons are for?

Thanks for reading!
GermanMonza

Postby GermanMonza » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:12 am

Done with the parts car. Rust in peace!
GermanMonza

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:08 am

Looks like you have that stripped down pretty good! Love the red (oxblood) interior, same as mine.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby GermanMonza » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:27 pm

That’s right, a beautiful color. I love how you ditched the vent for the gauges
GermanMonza

Postby gregh » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:28 pm

I also have a 75 262 automatic car, the 262 is long gone. I built a 350 for mine just because there was no way I was going to get enough horsepower out of a 262 to make me happy, lol.
I hope your dash is in good shape, the 75 is a 1 year only dash pad and gauge set.
Keep us updated, looks like you got everything worth anything off that parts car.
gregh

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:13 am

My car does not have AC so I did not have any vents on the dash.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby GermanMonza » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:53 pm

My dash looks alright, it will need some thorough cleaning. The seats have gathered some mold I'm afraid, I'll find out how to deal with that.

My plan was to buy the UMI adjustable panhard bar, today I looked what's under my car and to my surprise the panhard bar is quite different than the one in my parts car. Is that another 1 year only thing?
GermanMonza

Postby gregh » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Yes the 75 has the bent bar, everything after that is straight as far as I know. The car is a bit of an oddity. Front brakes are another one off, the 75 uses solid rotors and doesn't interchange calipers either with other years. You can still get the pads I have a spare set sitting here that I'll never use because I'm converting my whole front end to the S10 spindles and brakes.
gregh

Next

Return to Project Journals