how do i get my car level

Moderator: Moderators

how do i get my car level

Postby flowerz489 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:00 pm

im ready to start welding in some frame supports and a cage. which points are the best for reference? are there any lines on the car that are level? on a vega wagon
72 BBC 427 vega wagon in the works
flowerz489

Re: how do i get my car level

Postby megavega » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:10 am

put it on stands at 4 corners under the frame if you want to call it that or front horns and rear control arm mounts. open up the door or remove the door makes it much simpler to work on and use a 3ft level on the door sill for front to back. Then you can use a 3 or 4 ft level on the rear floor above rearend to get it level side to side. I also check side to side on the front frame horns up by radiator support.
Good surfaces to check from and your level will sit on the flats. You can always refer to the vega frame dimensions and add the differance for how high above the floor you put it...but for what your doing this will be fine. If you set it up level to begin with you can check your work with simple tools like a plumb bob,square,level,etc.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby flowerz489 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 pm

should the motor and transmission be in the car before i start welding in frame rails and a cage?
72 BBC 427 vega wagon in the works
flowerz489

Postby megavega » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:06 pm

no, thats not needed to be in
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby dadhad1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 am

Hey Flowerz489,

If it were me, while you're leveling it, I'd make sure you have the full weight of the car ON THE TIRES and the TIRES on level footing.
If you have any rake to the car, leveling the chassis will not match how the car sits on level ground.
(ie, imagine you have 4 blocks that are shimmed/heightened and level to one another)
You could do this simply by laying a straight board or steel between each block and using a level, get them all in.
Once all 4 blocks are true and level, the natural rake & weight of your car will be factored in.
This way your frame connectors will be welded into the chassis in the exact condition the car sits on level ground, fully seated on the ground as it would being parked with your rake.

That's just my 2 cents.

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Return to Racing Chassis