Electrical Drain & Turning Signal problem

Moderator: Moderators

Electrical Drain & Turning Signal problem

Postby K Love » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Not sure if I have two different problems or not but I have a 77 Monza Mirage and when the key is on the left signal light on the dash and front light are on steady and will not flash, the right turning signal works normal, when the key is off all lights are off. I have replaced the bulbs and the round flasher that is on the fuse box, is that the emergency flasher? and is there a different flasher for the turning signals? If so where are they located?

Also if I leave the battery connected for a long time the battery will die, so I just leave it disconnected when I'm not driving it. Could this be because of the turning signal problem?

Thanks for any help.
K Love

Re: Electrical Drain & Turning Signal problem

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:25 am

It sounds like you have a short to power on that left front turn signal. Try disconnecting the connector at the base of the steering column and see if that turns off the bulb. If it is no longer illuminated, the problem is in the turn signal switch.

The flasher on the fuse box is for the emergency flashers, the turn signal flasher is attached to a clip on the base of the instrument panel, near the steering column.

As for the draw on the battery, put a VOM set to the amp mode inline between the battery and the battery post (makes no difference which one) and pull fuses, one at a time, until you notice the amp draw drop to zero. You'll want to either leave the fuse loose for the dome light or pull the bulbs. When you find the circuit with the problem, you can diagnose it from there.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Electrical Drain & Turning Signal problem

Postby K Love » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks for the reply, you give me a few things to check into. :th:
K Love

Return to Electrical and Wiring