Manual Shift Question

Moderator: Moderators

Manual Shift Question

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am

It is hard to argue with a mechanic that has worked on many more types of cars than I have unless you have something to back it up with, so , here is my question. Did GM ever add a brake light switch to the clutch pedal to flash the brake lights when a shift was being made? I had never heard this until my "guru" mechanic mentioned it. I cannot see the purpose in it. The question came up when I discovered a switch on the clutch pedal with no wires connected. Anyone?? Thanks.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: Manual Shift Question

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:28 am

I've never heard of the brake light operation nor have I seen it. The switch on the clutch is to make sure the clutch is depressed to start the car. Most people leave a manual transmission in gear when not running. If yours does not have the switch connected the wires that would go to it have probably been jumped together.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Awesome, thanks for the reply, that makes sense! The two heavy long wires to the console area from the dash must have been for the neutral safety switch, they are wirenutted together. As I now recall, that harness came from the 74gt with automatic transmission. We added the 4 speed, I think there was never an active neutral safety on it that was properly configured.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby dindin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:45 pm

74_Vega_GT wrote:I Did GM ever add a brake light switch to the clutch pedal to flash the brake lights when a shift was being made? I had never heard this until my "guru" mechanic mentioned it. I cannot see the purpose in it. The question came up when I discovered a switch on the clutch pedal with no wires connected. Anyone?? Thanks.

Im trying to figure out why you would need people behind you to know your changing gears especially when speeding up.. :bang:
dindin

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:12 am

Never heard of any such non sense. The brake lights are for...............BRAKES. Brake lights come on when shifting? He is either pulling your leg or find a new mechanic
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Electrical and Wiring