Auto to 4speed

Moderator: Moderators

Auto to 4speed

Postby yfz450man » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 pm

In the process of switching from an auto to a 4speed and if anyone can answer I’d be very appreciative the auto factory shifter has 2 wire connections on it, one was the heavy duty 2 purple wire connection And the other one and I’m not sure which colors was on that one, but does anyone know what I should do with them now ? Is the purple one the neutral safety switch and if so does it need to go to the switch on the clutch pedal ? And then the second connection, would that be for the reverse light ? If so where does that go ?
Thank you in advanced
yfz450man

Re: Auto to 4speed

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:30 pm

Even though your question is about wiring, that particular thread doesn't get a lot of attention. I would repost it under the General Discussion area, I think it will get more views there. Sorry that I do not have an answer to your question.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Re: Auto to 4speed

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:57 am

With the automatic, remember one of those wires was for the shift position indicator light. It illuminates when the light switch is on. The purple is the neutral safety as you suspect. Ideally, yes, it should go to the switch on the clutch pedal, but you can jump it out, but the car will then crank in gear so thats up to you....hope this helps.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Return to Electrical and Wiring