Art Carr Gate Shifter

Post reviews of H-body products here. UNBIASED REVIEWS ONLY. NO ADS.

Art Carr Gate Shifter

Postby Sirshredalot » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:49 pm

I got this one used (it was advertised as new) on ebay....paid 175 + shipping.
It was worth every cent.

It is a no frills hardcore and heavy duty all purpose three speed automatic shifter....but they make a four speed shifter.

The stick pivots in the gate and you just push forward or pull back to each gear after moving side to side through the gate pattern.

CAUTION: There is no reverse lockout or neutral safety function on this shifter, the gates are very tight and precise however and you would probably never accidentally hit reverse.

The Shifter came with a very heavy, Morse type cable that is about twice as thick as anything Ive seen from B&M or Hurst.

The shifter is very very rugged and will probably never have to be replaced which is more than I can say for other shifters Ive owned.

It also came with a black plastic console/cover....but not like you normally see on shifters....this is more like the cheetah SCS command center....except no switches.
I did however drill and mount two switched on the middle portion of the housing to arm my line lock and nitrous.

Overall Im very very happy with this shifter. It seems like a very high quality product that is made in the USA.

My only gripe is that its pretty ugly(oxymoron).
It grows on you after a while but its a big black shifter knob poking off of a hex shaped steel rod...not as pretty as others....but twice as functional and durable.

When I get my camera running I'll post a picture or two.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Sirshredalot » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:14 pm

Heres a picture

God bless
-Shred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sirshredalot

Postby v8astregt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:20 pm

How does it mount? I have the Hurst Quarter Stick, and in park, the knob almost hits the dash, and the back of the shifter almost touches my E-brake handle, and the Quarter Stick is a compact shifter! Do you have the stock E-brake?
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:33 pm

I dont remember if I have the stock e brake in the car but its not hooked up at the moment. I have a custom made console surrounding a Frankenstein shifter right now.

But its clears my sheet metal dash. I realize my setup is a little different than yours, but My dash isnt that much more dimensionally different than a stock one.

You can see a picture of my shifter in me garage, but I havent installed the art carr shifter yet.
The art carr is a bit longer with the cover and all than your normal quarter stick or mega-shifter.

Im not really sure how this mounts yet....because the shifter is suspended in the cover, but there are also mounting holes in the shifter its self....It may be able to me mounted either way....by the cover or the shifter. I havent tried yet. But I will probably mount it from the cover only...its quite sturdy.

I really like the quality of this shifter and would recomend it to anyone who can live without a reverse lockout, or neutral safety switch.
But if you cant....art car makes these with the lockout and switch....but its a heck of a lot more expensive.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

Postby Fastmax32168 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:07 pm

I had a shifter very similar to that in my Monza back in the late 70s that was made by Winters Racing in York Pa. I have to say that it was by far my favorite of any shifter I have ever installed in a car. Easy to use, and impossible to miss a gear.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:51 pm

POST 700!!!!!

Anyway,

Yeah...its a great quality shifter, and worth every penny I paid for it.
NO way to miss a gear...cant skip a shift.

Its built like a brick $#!T house, The gear changes in the gate are very positive...it take a bit from your wrist to slide the shifter over to the next gear...the forward action is very fast and smooth.

Im very impressed with the quality....It came with a morse cable about as thick as my thumb...very heavy marine quality.

I just have to make a bracket to mount it.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

Postby spyder_xlch » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:57 pm

Sirshredalot wrote:POST 700!!!!!

God bless
-Shred
I spend way too much time on here. :lol: I hope that changes now that the weather is nice.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Product Reviews