Torque Arm Mounting

Moderator: Moderators

Torque Arm Mounting

Postby ScottieBell » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the way the torque arm mount attaches and sits on the rear of a TH350 tranny? I got this car in boxes, and have never done one before. I searched, but found no pictures of how it actually looks and mounts on the transmission. I have the car together as of yesterday, hoping to fire it up for the first time today, but wont be going anywhere until i sort out the torque arm mount. I have 2 pieces, not sure if i'm missing anything though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Scottie
ScottieBell

Re: Torque Arm Mounting

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:07 pm

I don't have a picture but there is basically a bracket that attaches to the 3 holes on the tailshaft. You need to have the correct tailshaft with the holes, hopefully you do (pic attached). The bracket has a square hole in and the torque arm attaches to the bracket with a special bolt that fits into the hole. Maybe someone can provide a picture or you can post what you have so we can see if it looks complete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby stage169 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:56 pm

See if these help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stage169

Postby Fastmax32168 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:05 pm

I have that bracket with the 3 holes and I think I have an NOS torque arm bushing somewhere if you end up needing either or both.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby ScottieBell » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 am

Thank you for the replies. I found everything i need locally, cost me a bit, but i should be able to drive the car pretty soon. Thanks again for the info
ScottieBell

Postby sccadriver » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:59 pm

I know this is old thread but curious about the manual listed above. What is the 1977 h body product description manual? It looks like an assembly manual but I cant find anything like it. Anyone know what manual those pages are from? Thaanks
sccadriver

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:52 pm

it is a factory assembly manual. it is not available for sale. it/they (there were multiple years available from seller) was purchased from seller on ebay years back. I believe there is one that can be purchased online for a 72 vega which likely contains some of the same info. I have never viewed the manual so I am only speculating https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Factor ... B005XQP9MU
monzaaddict

Postby sccadriver » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:50 pm

I thought it was an assembly manual (I had one for my old 73 Camaro) but I have never seen one for the Monza. I would really like one if they ever make them available. Maybe someday. Thanks for the info.
sccadriver

Postby stage169 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 am

Going off memory so.... I purchased two PDM's. One (chevy) from GM Heritage and the other from Sloan (buick). Both places had to copy and then sell me those copies. Like $50.00 or so. The Buick PDM had lots of pages that said reference the Chevy PDM and that is why I bought that one. I should still have the letter/receipts if you want to pursue that it might help.

If anybody wants to see a page(s) from either I would scan and post. Brian
stage169

Postby rocki » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:28 pm

I am doing a non-conventional engine/ driveline swap into a 77 V-8 Monza body. The torque arm (using the round bushing) is there but the original engine/ trans are long gone. So I need to figure out where the torque arm is located to create a front mount. The PDM pages that stage169 posted on this topic are helpful, but I still have questions. It appears that, on the second PDF page, the mounting slot in the 346540 bracket, when installed, is located at or near the center of the transmission output shaft, but I can't tell for sure. If someone has this setup easily accessible, can you check the location of the slot relative to the output shaft? If you can post some pics as well, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

(My parts car has a 151 4 cylinder with an auto trans; torque arm uses the square busing at the front. If I can't get info from the forum, I can make a best guess based on the parts car setup. But I'd like to have better info if I can get it. If someone has this torque arm setup installed in a car and can easily get to it, a measurement of the vertical distance from the bushing center to the floor pan would help, and pictures would be helpful as well.)
rocki

Postby NVEGAR8D » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:01 pm

Hi rocki, If you have your car on stands with the full weight in the axle, reasonably level and you are checking the vertical height of the torque arm nose, you will also need to keep in mind the trans angle in relation to the diff nose angle while tilting the arm up or down to find optimum center location. hope this helps.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby rocki » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:54 am

Nick -
Good point. I plan to do a mockup of the unconventional engine/ trans to locate engine mounts. Without further info, I plan to use a 3 degree down angle and can locate from there (see picture). Fore-aft location set by position of torque arm. If there is some way you can measure the vertical distance from the mount to the trans output shaft center and can send it on to me, it would be a tremendous help. Thanks in advance. Rocki
rocki

Postby NVEGAR8D » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:22 pm

rocki, my Vega is not a good candidate for measuring as the interior is presently gutted out of it. There is no weight in it. I had to lengthen my torque arm and just the same i don't trust it to be at the correct angle anyway. I'll have to check when the new engine/trans combo is installed, and i have to make a new body mount location. In the end i'll be in the same perdicament as you.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:45 pm

Rocki, I would consider a different approach than you are pursuing, if you were doing a 4 link you would be concerned with pinion angle, well same thought process is prudent here and is a better plan of attack. When at ride height [as Nick was saying] lift the "T" arm until pinion angle is correct and then you know where that pivot point should/will end up. I hope this gives you some thought process wiggle room/clarity, or probably more questions (well that is how it goes for me anyway). Remember these cars were built 50ish years ago and precision was a different concept as were tolerances so my car to Nicks and then yours may not be an apples to apples proposition. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rocki » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:24 pm

Monza Harry: Great thought! With the torque arm suspension, I see that when the proper pinion angle is achieved, the torque arm front end will be where it should be. Since the project car is on a lift, will be much easier for me to do than jacking up the parts car to measure things on the underside. Will try it out when I get the chance. Thanks, Rocki
rocki

Next

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech