Swapping in a Muncie Trans for orginal Saginaw

Moderator: Moderators

Swapping in a Muncie Trans for orginal Saginaw

Postby Howieboy7 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:56 am

Hi Guys,
Really enjoy reading your forum!
I’ve been working/gathering parts on my 77 Monza ‘Rolling Chassis’ project for a couple years now and am starting to put it together. This is an original 4 speed V8 hatchback that came without motor/trans (among a lot of other parts).
I now have correct bellhousing(including release arm, cover and cable assembly) plus the 10.5 clutch/153 tooth flywheel assembly your forum suggested) and all original shifter assembly for the Saginaw trans.
My plan is to use an original 1971 LT1 left over I had on a stand plus a M21 10 spline trans also shealved for years.
My concern now is the Torque Arm Set up (No attachment tabs on the Muncie for this) and reconfiguring shifter linkage of original Saginaw to the Muncie. I did acquire a TH350 tail shaft with the tabs after reading you could cut the tab section off and Tig Weld to Muncie Case. How about reconfigure to attaching Torque Arm to Cross Member? (I have a couple of extra Torque Arms to experiment with if needed plus have all the original TA arm to Trans Bracket Assembly).
Regarding shifter linkage, might it be better to change over to a standard hurst competition plus shifter setup. Have several of those laying around if that’s suggested.
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Bill
Howieboy7

Re: Swapping in a Muncie Trans for orginal Saginaw

Postby spencerforhire » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:01 am

The Muncie case is not all that strong, so maybe attaching the torque arm mount to the crossmember might be the best idea. As to modifying the OEM Saginaw shifter to work on the Muncie, It shouldn't be too difficult. I did that swap once in a Camaro, and I think I had to shorten the reverse lever. Any aftermarket shifter for a Muncie would no doubt require cutting the tunnel to relocate the shifter hole to the left.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:52 am

Back in the day I had a V8 Vega with a Muncie. I used a Hurst shifter from a first-gen Camaro with a console. The upper part of the shifter where the handle bolted on was shifted to the right and came up right in the hole of the Vega tunnel.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Howieboy7 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks Guys for the info. I too, back in the day, swapped in a (temporary) Saginaw trans when I had an issue with a Muncie in my 70 Chevelle. The same hurst shifter did work but had to modify the reverse linkage. I guess that might hold true with the Monza. I’ll try mounting engine/trans and try a couple of old Hurst Competition Plus Tower’s and Handle’s, plus try using stock Monza Shifter assembly bolted to trans tunnel and see what tunnel mod and or shifter handle might work and still look like stock appearance.

I guess the bigger issue is attaching the torque arm somewhere that is at least as strong as the original setup (to the Saginaw trans tail case). Has anyone done this, or know of an aftermarket setup, and/or have any photos what worked for them? It would seem using the cross member might be the easiest and strongest?

Really appreciate the help!
Thanks Again!
Bill
Howieboy7

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech