Turbo 350 stock trans bracket

Moderator: Moderators

Turbo 350 stock trans bracket

Postby dummyhead » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi guys,
Does anyone have a pic of what the stock th350 trans bracket setup looks like? I've got the original floor shifter with the stock cable in my 76 Monza but I'm struggling to find what parts I need to connect the cable to the trans. I've seen plenty of images and products for all kinds of other GM cars but nothing specifically for a Monza. I thought I read a post earlier today that said the Monza bracket and shift lever are unique. Is that the case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dummyhead

Re: Turbo 350 stock trans bracket

Postby 75Monz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm

If I have time before it gets dark when I get home tonight, I'll jack one of mine up and take a few pics.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Postby 75Monz » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:02 am

Sorry, didn't get around to it till last night. This is one of my 75 TC California 350/350 stock setups. Just has a tab off the trans to a shift rod connected to the floor shifter. Not sure if this is how my 76 coupe with the 305 is set up since it has the lower tunnel area, don't see this fitting very well in that space.

Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:33 am

As you can see from the pic the '75 had a solid rod for the floor shifter, the '76/80 were cable shifted. and the bracket has the lever/cable end very low, driving over the mound of ice in the center of the road would shift my'76 into neutral sometimes if the ruts were deep or the mound was extra tall. I have a bracket I believe is correct, (fingers crossed) I do have a factory THM200 set-up I can share as well, I'll try an post up a pic in the next few days. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dummyhead » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks 75Monz for crawling under your car and snapping all of those pics! That's a great look at that setup. Like Monza Harry said I've the got the cable shifter setup on my '76 as opposed to the the rod shifted setup. In all the google image searches I've done looking for GM bracket setups for a TH350 it appears the trans pan brackets and the shift selector brackets for a cable setup are almost the same for a TH350 between the Chevelles, Impalas, Camaro/Firebird, Corvettes etc. I'm thinking about picking up a kit for one of those cars since they all appear to be the same and seeing if I can make it work. The only thing I'm concerned with is the cable in the car now seems REALLY short. Guess I'll find out. :)
dummyhead

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Mine is pretty short, something like ~24-30" only from memory mind you, I can check that out too, my shifter is laying out right in the way in the garage. I am hoping to spend a few minutes out there tomorrow if it isn't as crazy wet and cold as it is today and the "Easter Bunny" shows up early and the grandson (almost 6 yrs. old) will attack someone else for half an hour or so after that Chocolate/sugar high. :lol: :rolleyes: Harry :D
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dummyhead » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Got my bracket kit in the mail the other day and had a few minutes last night to see if it would work. Here's a pic from the mfg website:

Like I mentioned previously my internet image "research" made it look like the majority of GM models trans pan brackets and shift levers were the same across models and years so I figured, why not?

Well, I think my initial fear of the cable being too short may be spot on. I ran out of time to really dig in and see but it definitely didn't just bolt right up. I think the next step it to see if there is any extra slack up top by the shifter. I'll report my findings when I get a chance to get back in the garage.
dummyhead

Postby dummyhead » Sun May 05, 2019 10:59 pm

I found a a guy in the Detroit area on craigslist selling a complete Buick V6/TH350 out of a 76 Sunbird with the shifter cable, bracket and shift selector all still attached. I asked if he'd be willing to sell just the parts I'm looking for but he wants to keep all of the parts together and sell it all complete. He did send me some pictures of the parts though. Super cool of him to help out some weirdo responding to his ad looking for pictures of random parts. Here they are:

assembledLinkageWeb.jpg

leverCableAndBracketWeb.jpg

shiftSelectorWithPartNoWeb.jpg

bracketLeverSideWeb.jpg

assembledLinkageWeb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dummyhead

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech