Combination u-joint for s-10 pinion swap

Moderator: Moderators

Combination u-joint for s-10 pinion swap

Postby jim327monza » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:17 pm

I put in a turned down s10 pinion when i swapped to the limited slip set up. I used a Spicer 5-3022-1X combination u-joint. The pinion side works fine. The driveshaft side is another story . When i install the outer c clips the drive shaft side binds and will not move freely. Do I have the wrong u-joint or is it possibly bent ears on the yoke. Stock monza yoke on shorten drive shaft. If bent how to straiten them? While I would probably work this way I would prefer to have it right.
Thanks Jim H
jim327monza

Re: Combination u-joint for s-10 pinion swap

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 am

First try seating the driveshaft u-joint cups in the yoke: place the pinion cross and cups against the vise, with the driveshaft in the opening of the vise. Rap on the yoke near the driveshaft cap once or twice, then flip it over and do the same to the other side to see if that frees it up enough. What you are trying to do is seat the driveshaft caps against the clips. You may even find the the clips will bow out slightly, that will be okay.

If that doesn't help, try using a brass drift and a decent sized hammer, hit on the inner edge of the yoke by the outside edge of the cap to try to spread it slightly.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby jim327monza » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Chuck. Hammer and brass punch will be first try. I tried a thinner c-clip on both sides with no success. If the hammer doesn't work I'm going to use some allthred with some nuts and washers as a spreader. maybe add some heat at the same time. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks Jim H
jim327monza

Postby Smiley » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Did you have the caps off the joint ?
Some have thin plastic thrust washers under the caps.
I had some get doubled up making the joint too wide in one direction.
Smiley

Postby jim327monza » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Smiley, Yes I took the caps off to make sure no rollers fell out and got jammed under the cap. This is the second joint and both did the same thing. Using threaded rod With nuts and washers on the inside I managed to open the ears from 3.42 to 3.50 and that helped some. I will try to push the ears further over the next few days. Heat it , push it out let it cool , repeat . see how it goes.
Thanks Jim H
jim327monza

Postby Smiley » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:16 pm

They also make different clip thicknesses,
some ujoints come with 2 or 3 sets.
Smiley

Postby jim327monza » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:03 am

Mine came with 2 sets. external for the s-10 side and internal for monza side. I noticed some binding even with out the clips. I used a small cylinder hone to clean up the inside of the of the ears and have a spreader bar in now, will turn it a couple of turns before and after work to spread the ears some.
Jim H
jim327monza

Postby jim327monza » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:04 pm

Ok left the spreader bar in over night and all day. got home from work and tried to tighten the nuts to spread the ears more, no movement. heated the ears with a torch and got about 1/2 a turn on both sides . let every thing cool down and re honed the ears. prior to starting ears measured 3.48 OD when finished 3.55 OD. reinstalled u-joints. end caps went in with just light taps from brass hammer. c-clips went back in with just pliers. u-joint moves freely, with some stiffness that i would consider normal for a new joint.
If I had this to do over I would have had an s-10 driveshaft yolk put on when I had the shaft shorten.
Live and learn.
Thanks for all your help!!!

Jim H
jim327monza

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech