2004r transmission crossmember

Moderator: Moderators

2004r transmission crossmember

Postby al89 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:00 pm

Hi, I have a 2004r trans to go into a 77 Sunbird. Does anyone have or know where I can get a cross member? It maybe that I need to fabricate one. Thanks in advance!
al89

Re: 2004r transmission crossmember (no LS)

Postby al89 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:48 am

I am still looking into how this is done. From what I understand I need to shorten the torque arm and mount it to the cross member. This sound like the hard part of this swap. I wish I could find someone who has already done this.

This car was suppose to be a birthday present for my wife, but I am a long way from being finished. It seem like there are a lot of parts that I have yet to find. I did buy a second car that had a 196 Buick V6 in it, but many of the parts are not there.

Also, I maybe willing to swap someone a 4.8 liter LS for the missing parts. I have no use for that engine, I am sure someone else would love to have it.
al89

Re: 2004r transmission crossmember

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:21 pm

monzaaddict

Re: 2004r transmission crossmember

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:19 pm

https://h-body.org/ many of your questions can be answered here. There is an entire transmission swap section within those links. Transmission is same overall length and spline dia./and count. Transmission mount is moved back ~2" IIRC a torque mount will be required, there are a few approaches to this use, the stock X member and create a new floor piece. Offset the stock X member to existing floor/car mount start from new. And what your imagination can do. An intragral X-member torque arm mount or create one from the transmission. None of these are "Buy & Bolt in" this is a more grass roots hot rod kind of car [built not bought]. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech